Sunday, June 12, 2005

Yahoo vs. Royal Vegas Poker

I haven't played any poker since Friday night. I just now finished my posting my notes from the Friday night session. Learning how this blogging stuff works took some getting used to. I thought I'd post my thoughts about the differences between playing for free on yahoo vs. playing for real money on Royal Vegas Poker.

Speed of play
The speed of play is much faster on RVP than yahoo. RVP doesn't give you much time at all to see what the other players had after the river. Yahoo gives you plenty of time to see the winning and losing cards. Yahoo also give you more time to make decisions compared to RVP. The player on Yahoo also take more time to make decisions so you have plenty of time to think about what you want to do when it is your turn. I think Yahoo allows each player to take as much as 30 seconds before folding your cards. I believe on RVP you only have 20 seconds to act. Another thing that increases the speed of play on RVP is the advanced action buttons.

Players
The players on RVP are much more knowledgeable than the people I played against on Yahoo. I tried to play on Yahoo as if I were playing for real money so I could learn, but I ran into a lot of people that did not play that way. Because they were playing with play money they could afford to play loosely and get lucky. Also if they didn't like the amount of play money they had, they could go play blackjack or video poker, then come back with a positive score. I did this once on Yahoo when I was down to about $-600 of play money. At the time, I thought the reason I was down that low was because I was not getting any good cards. After doing some reading, I realized it was because I was playing bad cards. After playing video poker for about 2 minutes I was back up to $1100 of play money. At that point I started playing very tight and folding most of the time. After playing 30 sessions that way on Yahoo my score was up to almost $3000 of play money.

Also I have not seen any chatting by the players on RVP, meaning people are focusing on the cards more. They should be more focused on the game, they are playing for real money.

Software
I like the way RVP tells you what kind of hand you have above the cards on the board. I don't care for the way the winning had is displayed. The results are displayed in the chat box to the right of the board. On Yahoo the results are displayed underneath the cards on the board, making it easy to find. I haven't found the chat option on RVP that I like yet. The full detail option gives a lot of information.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home