Wednesday, June 15, 2005

3rd session on RVP

I think I learned a big lesson last night. I should have quit when I was ahead. I started out with $9.29 and after about an hour of playing I was up to $10.91. I was so excited about being ahead. I had put off playing for so long because part of me was afraid I was going to lose and end up with less than I started with. I really wanted to end the night on a positive note. Up to that point I don't think I played poorly. I won with good hands. I didn't bluff and I took time to make the right decision.

There was one hand early in last night's session that I did not play well. I was dealt a pair of Ks, I raised and several people folded. Another K came on the flop and I raised again, some people called. Nothing on the turn or river helped me. The pot was up over a dollar. I think I bet again and the guy to my left raised on both the turn and the river. When the cards were revealed he had a full house. He must have made it on the turn and I didn't catch it, because I saw the size of the pot and overestimated the strength of my hand.

There was also a hand where I got very lucky. I had been folding alot of bad hands before the flop and then I was dealt a pair of 3s. I was afraid I was becoming predictable so I called from an early position know that several people behind me would fold. On the flop, came a pair of 6s. Not a great hand but I stayed in the hand. Nothing came on the turn and then a 3 came on the river. I had a full house and I won the pot. I'm sure the guy I beat felt the same way I felt when I got beat earlier. Rotten. I don't want to get in the habit of doing that though. I don't want to get lucky and win a huge hand with sorry starting hands. I want to play very good starting hands.

Anyway, back to how our story ends. After I managed to win over $1.50 for the session, I guess I got a little cocky and started playing poorly. Pretty soon I was below what I started out with and not happy at all. I felt like a real idiot. I played poorly. I didn't pay close enough attention to what the new players come in were doing and I lost some big hands. In a matter of only a few minutes I had lost all my winning plus some. I went on to play about an hour, hoping I would get good cards and end the night on postive note, but I had to give in as much as it hurt and cut my losses. I ended the night with $8.70.

Last night I learned, not to play too long, I spent 2.25 hours playing and I could have easily quit when I was ahead. I learned that I should play extra close attention to new players. Everytime someone new comes in I have to establish a reputation for tight play for that new player. Maybe losing last night wasn't such a bad thing after all. It was bound to happen sooner or later. If it had happened later, it might have been an even more costly lesson. I have got to learn to control how to respond to winning and not get carried away and becoming blind to the situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home