Saturday, September 17, 2005

Good Decisions....Mostly

I played 204 hands last night. For the most part I played pretty well. I waited for the right starting hands to come and when they did I played them aggressively. If I had top pair or a set on the flop I would bet. If I had four to a flush on the flop I would also bet on the flop. There were 3 or 4 bad calls that I made on the river even though I knew I was beat, but most of the time I folded in that position. I ended up winning $1.61 from last night's session.

I have changed my focus when it comes to playing poker. Until now, I have been focused on winning pots and building my bankroll. Now my goal is to play 10k-15k hands at this level (.05/.10 limit) and gain experience. So far I have played 4544 hands since I started in June of this year.

Two of the first three pots I won last night were split pots. The first one was split three ways. We were all holding Ax and there was an Ace and a pair of sevens on the board. What are the odds? The second split pot, we both ended up making a Jack high straight on the river. I started out in late postions with JTo and my opponent was holding a pair of Jacks.

There were a couple of hands that I was dealt in the BB that were really weak, but ended up winning the pot. My opponents either gave me the correct odds to draw to the card I needed on the river or they let me see it for cheaply. The pots I did win that way were not huge, but I am not complaining. Capitalizing on the mistakes of your opponents is what poker is about.

I am pretty happy with the way I played last night. I know I made a few mistakes and I would have won more if I had not made them, but I felt I learned from them. I really need to learn to pay attention and take notes on my opponents when I am not involved in hands.

Total # of hands played: 4544
Current BR: $18.48

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home