Saturday, June 18, 2005

Session #4 on RVP

I played another session last night and I feel much better. I started out the night with $8.70 and ended up with $10.61. Last night was also the longest session I have played (almost 3.5 hours). After doing some reading in Poker for Dummies, I decided I was going to play only a very small number of starting hands. If the cards I was dealt, did not measure up to my predetermined standards I would fold. And that is what I did. I was determined to be patient.

There were a few bad beats early on where I thought I had the winning hand and I played it aggressively only to get beat by someone who got lucky on the flop or river. At first I was, I was pretty mad. How dare they not fold to me when they have junk! Then I let it go and decided to be patient. I was all the way down to about $6.00 when things seemed to turn around. Even when I was down that low, I decided not to panic but would just keep folding the hands that didn't make the cut.

I won the first two hands I played, but they were very small. The first was $0.16 and the second was $.09. I didn't have good starting cards on either of those hands, but I didn't put much money into the pot. On the first one, I was dealt 6d 9h and I checked all the way through and ended up winning with two pair (Queens over sixes). The second one was 78s, everyone before me folded and I decided to call, then the guy behind me checked. We both checked the rest of the way through and I ended up with a pair of eights.


After playing for almost 3.5 hours, I was dealt an Ah and Jh. UTG checked, UTG+1 raised and then I raised. After me 2 players folded and 2 players called. Then UTG raises and the rest of us call. The flop was 8h, Ks and Qh. The BB checked, UTG bet and UTG+1 called. I also called. The guy behind me raised and then the BB raised and the rest of us call him on it. The river was a 4h and I made my flush. The BB and the two players before me checked and I followed suit and checked. Then the player behind me bet and the BB raised. The two player in front of me folded and I raised. The guy behind me called and the BB raised again. I call and the player behind me called. Kc came on the river and the BB checked and I bet. The player to my left calls and the BB called. Then I showed my flush and took down the pot. The total pot was $3.27. It was my biggest pot to date and it finally put me in black for the night. I wish I could have seen what those other guys had the way they kept raising.

A few minutes later I was dealt a pair of nines. A couple of guys players in front of me called and two more check (they sat out the hand before so they had to post to play this hand). The guy to my right folded. I raised and 5 people call. Kc Jc Qh came on the turn. I knew that didn't help me so I checked and the other 5 checked. So it appeared the flop didn't help anyone else either. The turn was a 6h and I checked again. Three people check behind me and the the fourth guy bet. I decided to call and so did 2 more. The river was a 8d and I checked again. Then one of the guys (xrayted) who had checked all the way through bet, which I thought was odd. I thought for a while and checked his betting history to see what he did on each round. I decided he didn't have a good hand so I called. The bettor from the last round folded and so did the guy after me. When the cards where revealed xrayted had a pair of fours and I won the pot of $1.13 with my pair of nines.

I think I played this session pretty well. I lost quite a bit early on due to some bad beats, but I didn't panic and decided to play only the cards I had decided to play before I sat down. I might have played a little too tight, but I think I need to until I can get this bankroll to grow. I need to remember each time I play that I am in this for the long run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home