Monday, June 27, 2005

Session #6

I played almost 4.5 hours on Saturday night. I started out with $10.09 and ended up with $11.08. I folded most of my starting hands. I got beat a couple of times when I had good starting hands. The first loss came when I made a Q high straight on the turn and the other guy had a K high straight. Later I won a hand when I made a Q high straight on turn. The second loss was my two pair (Ks over 6s) to a full house (6s full of As). I started out with a KQo and two 6s and a K came on the flop. The turn and river was an A and a 7. So this guy got lucky and made his full house on the turn after being dealt A6o. I would have folded that starting hand.

Of course I had a couple of lucky hands also. On one hand I was dealt A5suited and I decided to play them. I flopped a flush, which I bet on and the other players called. Checking instead of betting might have been a better move. Then I could have come back and raised if anybody bet.

Later in the evening I was dealt a pair of 9s (9d 9s) that I decided to play. Two more diamonds came on the flop (one and Ace). And I decided to stay in. Two more diamond came on the turn and river. But I ended up losing that hand to someone else with a higher straight. I propably should have gotten out after the flop because there were several players still in.

Two hands later I was dealt the same pair of 9s (9d 9s) in the big blind. Several people called and there was one raise. I raised and 5 people called. The flop was 3, 2 & 7. I bet and 3 call and 1 raised. I called and only 1 person behind me called. I figured at that point the pot was too big not to call. On the turn I caught another 9. At that point there are only 3 of us left. The other two started raising and I called each time. So that round gets capped. The river card was a 4. I decided to bet and call any raises and I ended up winning $3.40 with my 3 of a kind. If it hadn't been for this hand, it is likely I would have ended down for the night.

I think I could have played much better. I was down for most of the night and I won a few hands, but then I would give my winnings back a few hands later. I need to make sure I play tight the whole time. I need to be aware of what everyone else is playing and watch them closely.

I did take note of one guy who was playing pretty loosely and winning. He seemed to play just about anything above a ten suited with some low card. I know I saw him win four hands that way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't read then yet I suggest going over too www.ultimatebet.com(not .net) and reading every strategy guide by John Vorhaus (except the tournament ones as it is strictly a S&G guide and no relevence to us poor bankroll players yet). Some of the best begginer advice and it's well laid out making it easy to remember.

Also I saw you got the Illustrated guide to Texas Hold'm. I don't have that one but I would suggest getting Poker For Dummies. I was going to skip it because I had read some higher level stuff already but I am SO VERY GLAD I didn't. You can get it used on Amazon for about $3-$4 USD.

Last, in all the books I have read (On my 4th) they say talk about poker with people. If you would like to start up an e---mail conversation you can get me at brokesucca -AT- gmail -.com- (removing the spaces and hyphans of course. See what spam makes us resort too? :) )

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe, forgot, my login at poker-strategy.org is BrokeSucca.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Thanks for the heads up about the poker articles. I read Poker for Dummies about 2 months ago. The Illustrated Guide really helped me to understand the odds. I will have to check out PFD again. I am also planning on buying Small Stakes Hold'em, Winning Low-Limit Hold'em and Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home