Tuesday, January 17, 2006

My First SNG Win

A few days ago I decided to use the $7.00 I have left in my account at Royal Vegas Poker to learn how to play SNG tournaments. I had tried playing a couple of SNG on Royal Vegas a few months ago, but finished 6th and 7th and I hadn't done much playing on Royal Vegas since. Last week I started reading through the SNG strategy section from Winning Low Limit Hold'em. Sunday I entered a $0.75+0.25 tournament and won. I was really surprised to win the whole thing. Going in I would have been happy just to make into the money since that would have been a huge improvement over my last attempts.

I didn't play a single hand during the whole first level. I just sat and waited for some premium cards to be dealt to me and watched as a couple of players were eliminated. At the beginning of the second level, with the blinds at 20/40, I was dealt AKs on the button. I had 960 chips left and I raised 3x the big blind. The SB, with 1560 chips, raised 200 and I called. The flop came down KK3 and the SB bet 760 forcing me to push the rest of my chips in. I immediatley called and the SB flipped over TT. After winning that hand I was now in 2nd and the SB was the short stack.

I continued to fold my hands through the 2nd level until I was dealt AJs and raised 4x the big blind and won the blinds. I folded most of my hands through the third level and held steady in 2nd place.

Then with 1920 chips, 6 other players left and the blinds at 80/160 I was dealt a pair of tens in the CO position. Three players folded in front me and I raised to 640. The button pushed in his remaining 1660 chips and the BB pushed in his remaining 440 chips. I called the 1660 and all the cards were flipped over. The button was holding eights and the BB had kings. The rest of the cards were dealt and I won 2160 from the side pot and the BB won 1820 from the main pot. The player on the button was eliminated and I had taken the chip lead with 2420 chips.

A few hands later I eliminated the second place player after checking with 34s. With the blinds at 160/320 and 4 other players left, I had 3020 chips in the BB and the SB had 2250. The table folded around to the SB and he called. The flop came 3J2, he bet 640 and I called. The turn was another 3 and I checked behind him. The river was a 4, the SB checked and I pushed in my remaining 2320 chips. The SB pushed in his remaining 1450 chips and flipped over KJ suited. I know I took a big risk calling on the flop with my bottom pair, but if anything except a 3 or 4 came on the turn and he bet, I would have been able to fold and still have a pretty healthy stack. I was extremely lucky to catch that 3 on the river.

I then won the next three pots without ever seeing a flop. I stole the blinds twice, once after raising with ATo and then again after raising with K9o. I won the SB on the third pot after the other 3 players folded around to me with Q2o.

Then I called from the SB with AKo and the BB checked. I won the hand after betting 640 on the flop when another K came.

A few hands later the shortstack was eliminated after being forced all-in by the blinds with 32s vs. my KK and I was in the money for the first time in a SNG. Then a few hands later the another player was eliminated after being forced in by the blinds with KJo vs. my A8o in the BB. I caught two eights on the flop and an ace on the turn and was guaranteed at least 2nd place.

We only played two hands heads up, I lost the first one when my opponent pushed with a pair of threes vs. my A4o. I caught an ace on the flop, but he caught a 3 on the turn. The last hand he pushed with K2o vs. my KTo and I caught two tens on the flop and I won first place netting $2.75.

I received some very good cards during that SNG and was lucky to catch a few cards. For the most part I think I was ahead each time I saw a flop. If it hadn't been for an amazing run of cards I don't think I could have won this tournament.

Current Bankroll: $255.92

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home