Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Texas Fold'em

First Session
Most of the two sessions I played on Sunday were not very exciting. The first session I played I didn't get very many good starting hands, so most of them were quickly folded before the flop. And then, if I did get to see a flop the hand would not be good enough to continue with. I was dealt 76 hands and only managed to win three pots.

After folding about 50 hands, I wound up with AA in the big blind. I would have much rather see that when I am in early position. By the time it was my turn to act only three people had called. I raised and those three called. The flop was 736 rainbow. The SB checked, I bet again and the fellow behind me folded. The person two seats to my left, who started out the had with only $0.25, raised, the SB called and I reraised. Now that person two seats down is all-in when she calls my reraise. The turn and river cards were a K and a 5. The SB checked and I bet both times. The all-in player won the main pot with a straight to the 7 (holding 45 suited) and I won the side pot. I didn't even see the straight possibility or I would have folded instead of reraising after the flop. The $0.39 I won from the side pot didn't cover what I had put in on that hand.

The other two hands I won with was a pair of 8s and a pair of queens that didn't make it to the turn.

I was also bluffed out of one pot that I would have won if I had stayed in. I received the 8 and 7 of spades in late position. With three player before me folding and three calling, I called as well. The button and the SB called after me and the BB checked. The flop was Qh, 3s and 8d and everyone, including me checked. The turn was 8h. The SB and BB checked the next player bet and two people before me folded. I called (probably should have raised) and and the button and the SB folded and the BB called. The river was a 2 of hearts and the BB raised and the player before me called. I couldn't be 100% sure the BB wasn't bluffing at a flush so I folded. The BB flipped over Ts and Js and the other player had a pair of sixes. The BB made a great play and got me to fold the best hand, but at least he didn't win the pot. I should have been more observant when he showed his cards before this hand.

I felt like I played this session pretty well, even though I ended up losing $1.02 (it would have been more if I had not won those three hands). I just didn't get very many good cards and I wasn't willing to put money into the pot unless I thought I had a good chance at winning it. At the end of my first session I was down to $20.00.

Second Session
The second session started out about the same as the earlier one. I folded most of my hand either before the flop or after the flop. Then after about 40 hands things started to turn around (I was down $0.81). I managed to win seven pots out of 94 hands.

The biggest pot I won was $0.98 with pocket aces. It ended up improving to two pair on the turn (Aces and Tens). I was determined to take those aces all the way to the river when I saw them. A few hands earlier I was dealt pocket aces and had to lay them down, after a third heart hit the board on the turn and it became very clear that one or two players had made a flush.

At the end of the session, I was up $0.70. I feel like I played this session pretty well also. I hope I can continue to make good decisions and continue building my bankroll. I am thinking about rereading The Illustrated Guide To Texas Hold'em to see if I can pick up on anything I missed the first time.

Current BR: $20.70

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We started playing texas holdem at work but just for matchsticks. Some players dont know if they are bluffing or just dont know how to play

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home