Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Killer Mistakes

I played another session on Party Poker on Sunday and my luck did not improve. I waited patiently for good starting hands, but I just couldn't manage to get ahead. I think I am going to try using the Loose Game starting hand chart from Small Stakes Hold'em during my next session. Maybe loosen up a little will help. I really need to focus on learning how to play after the flop. I don't know how much of my losses are because I am playing poorly or bad players are getting lucky.

My first big loss came when I was dealt Pocket Queens in middle position and the flop was 8h, Ad & Tc. I made the mistake of thinking I had the best hand on the flop and didn't consider the possibility that someone might have an ace. I think I should have check this hand on both the turn and the river. How not to play middle pair.

Then a few hands later I managed to really do some damage to my bank roll when I made a Queen high flush on the flop and did not surrender my sorry hand to the real flush. I would have been much better off folding on the turn. How not to play the non-nut flush.

I did not play all of my hands poorly, but some hands are so good it is tough to lose with them. I picked up Aces on the button and raised it up. The flop was Q98 rainbow a player in front of me bet and I raised and both players called my raise. The turn was another Ace, it was checked around to me, I bet and only had one caller. The river was a 3, my opponent check, I bet and he called. I ended up winning $3.07 on that hand. My opponent had KK. Checking the turn might have gotten him to bet and call on the river, but I had now way of knowing he had Kings because he only called with them preflop. Getting paid with Pocket Aces.

Then I got TT and was sucked out on the river by a very loose player. She also went on to win the next hand with 42o. I can't take the blame for this one.


Later when I won a $3.45 pot with a straight, I was thinking I might be able to recover from my earlier mistakes. Then I made a very stupid play on the next hand from the SB. I very foolishly believed I had the best and with two pair with an ace kicker, unfortunately neither of the paired cards matched my other starting card.

Then a bit later, I was dealt pocket Aces and was done in by a lousy T on the turn. I don't think I played this hand poorly and I don't know that I would have given it up if it had been raised on the turn. I probably would have checked the river after it was raised on the turn though, and I might have called a bet on the river.


Four hands later I was dealt Aces again! I ended up winning that one with the same hand I lost the previous Aces with. The next hand I was dealt Queens and ended up winning that one as well. Then a little bit later I won another pot without a showdown with AKo.

After that my run of good cards was over and I played about 50 more hands and only called with a few of them pre-flop and folded them when they missed on the flop. I ended up losing $7.12 during that session. Hopefully I can learn from the mistakes I made and dropping the hands that get me into trouble.

Total # of hands played on Party Poker: 383
Total # of raked hands played on Party Poker: 316
Current BR: $55.76

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home