Wednesday, November 02, 2005

A session with a calling station

I played another session on Royal Vegas last night and lost $2.12. I think I might be done playing the .05/.10 limit tables on Royal Vegas. I have found some $1.00 buy-in MTTs on Royal Vegas that I am going to try. They look like they are pretty small and the payouts look pretty good.

I started off the session doing very well. I got some really good cards at the beginning and was up over $1.00 very quickly. I won the first hand I played, which was T9o from the BB. The flop was A87. I bet on the flop after getting 2 cards closer to a straight I checked the turn on the turn which was another 7. Then when I missed the straight on the river I took a chance and bet and my opponents folded. A few hands later I was dealt AKo in the SB and I reraised. The flop was J76, I bet and my opponents folded. Then I won threes hands in a row. The first with AQs preflop. The second was with KQo and the third with AKo after everyone folded to my UTG raise.

Then I ran into trouble against a calling station (CS) and most of my winnings were wiped out in a couple of hands. Again I raised preflop with AKo from early position and only the CS called. The flop was 964, I bet and he called. The flop was another 4, I bet, the CS raised and I called. I bet again on the river when a 3 hit, the CS again raised and I called. The CS flipped over A4o. At the time I didn't really have a good read on him to know that he was a CS, but as I watched him during the rest of the session I felt I had figured him out. Then I lost another hand to him a few hands later and knew that I needed to watch him closely. He would call preflop with any two cards and if he missed preflop, he would usually call down to the river. If he hit something, he would bet or raise and he usually ended up winning the hand. He won several hands playing that way, but his chip stack was shrinking. When I left the table he had lost about $5.00.

About halfway through the session I was down about $1.00 after losing one more hand to the CS. Then I was dealt QTs and called. Another Queen on the flop gave me top pair. I put in a bet on the flop and the turn and then again when a third Queen came on the river. After that I only won two more small pots during the session and folded most of my remaining hands either preflop or after the flop after missing the flop.

At the end of the session I lost two more hands. The first with AJo and the second with AA to the CS when he made two pair on the river with 86o. Hopefully I have learned my lesson about playing against calling stations and will win a lot more money than I lose the next time I run into one.

Total # of hands played on Royal Vegas: 5909
Current BR on Royal Vegas: $8.38

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home