Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Kill Phil SNGs

I played 3 SNG tournaments on Royal Vegas last night using the Kill Phil rookie strategy. I wasn't able to make the money in any of them, but I did like playing that way. It really took a lot of the pressure of making the wrong decision off me and put it on my opponents. I think this strategy would be very useful for someone who has never played a SNG before to help them get an understanding of how the tournaments work.

In the first tournament I did not see a flop, except when I was in the BB, for the first three levels. Then with just 5 other players left I pushed my small stack in with QJs and was called by A7o. The board did not improve either of our hands and my opponent won with ace high.

In the second tournament I played the same way. Early in the tournament I was dealt aces and pushed my 970 chips in and picked up only the blinds. It would have been nice if someone had called and my aces held up. After the blinds came around a few hands later I was back down to 970 chips. I continued folding hands until I was forced all in from the SB with K2o. The BB had 74o and caught a seven and a four on the flop and I was out in 5th place.

I did a little better in the last tournament and made it all the way to fourth before busting out. With the blinds at 40/80, and 8 players left, I was dealt KK and pushed after a couple of early position limpers. No one was brave enough to see the flop with me and I picked up a little more than the blinds. A little later on I pushed with KJs and was called by a player with QTo. I caught a king on the flop and busted out. I pushed with two hands when we got down to 4-6 players left. The first one was 86s that did not get called. The last time I pushed with 77 and was called by a player with QQ. The flop was QJJ.

One of the things I learned from this experience is what kind of hands I can play when the table gets short handed. I think I might try a combination of the strategy from Winnning Low Limit Hold'em and Kill Phil the next tournament I play. If I can build a good sized stack during the early stages of the tournament and then switch to the more aggressive Kill Phil strategy later, I should have a better shot at finishing in the money. I am going to continue on with the Kill Phil system and learn the more advanced strategies and try to apply them to future SNGs.


Current Bankroll: $319.55
Free Money

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home